Terms and Conditions
Code of Ethics
As a member of the American Translators Association, I adhere to the organization’s code of ethics and strive:
- to convey meaning between people and cultures faithfully, accurately, and impartially;
- to hold in confidence any privileged and/or confidential information entrusted to me in the course of my work;
- to represent my qualifications, capabilities, and responsibilities honestly and to work always within them;
- to enhance those capabilities at every opportunity through continuing education in language, subject field, and professional practice;
- to act collegially by sharing knowledge and experience;
- to define in advance by mutual agreement, and to abide by, the terms of all business transactions among colleagues and with others;
- to ask for and offer due recognition of my work, and compensation commensurate with my abilities; and
- to endeavor in good faith to resolve privately any dispute that arises from my professional interactions,
mindful that failure to abide by these principles may harm myself, my fellow members, the association, or those I serve.
Terms and Conditions
In addition, my services are set forth in the following terms and conditions:
- Estimates are non-binding and made in good faith. The date of delivery in an initial estimate cannot be guaranteed until the job is confirmed accordingly:
- Before I can commence work on a translation or other assignment, there must be a written agreement which stipulates the costs (or hourly rate), anticipated date of delivery, and length of text. Depending on the nature and length of the assignment, this can vary from an email exchange to a formal contract. Once so agreed upon, an assignment cannot be terminated without my express consent to conditions and fair compensation.
- Payment: Payments are figured in Euros and can be made via bank transfer or Paypal. An additional fee may apply for the latter. I reserve the right to require payment in advance or in installments. Otherwise, payment is due immediately following the completion of the text.
- Until an assignment is paid in full, I retain the copyright.
- My translations are conducted with the utmost care and diligence. However, I cannot assume liability for their correctness. It is assumed that the author, should he be unable to personally confirm the details of the translation, will arrange for the text to be proofread by a third party who is proficient in English and competent in the field.
- By default, I format texts and footnotes as outlined in the Chicago Manual of Style, to which I maintain an online subscription. If a client wishes me to deviate from Chicago style, I should be informed of this before I begin the translation. Later changes or reformatting may incur an additional fee based an hourly rate of 50 € per hour.
- If a translation is intended for publication, I reserve the right to review the proofs before it goes to print.
- If specialized literature or dictionaries are required for the translation, the author is responsible for providing these or for assuming the costs of acquiring them.
- The order and all the claims resulting there from shall be subject to German law.
Header photo: View from the dunes on Spiekeroog, Germany